https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:PieChartFractionTwoThirdsSplit.svg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:PI_constant.svg
When teaching fractions for understanding, I learned the importance of emphasizing the key words; numerator, denominator, proper fraction, equivalent fractions, improper fractions and mixed numbers. In grade school, one of my math teachers taught me that the numerator is the number of the top and the denominator is the number of the bottom (d is for down). I always remembered that indicator. Learning goals will change according to grade levels. In Grade 4, students are expected to represent, compare, and order fractions and mixed numbers. Students must explore and connect that fractions are a part-whole concept and teachers must be mindful of the language used to describe or name fractions. Saying one eighth is more effective that saying one over eight. Another teaching tip is to realize that conceptually addition and subtraction contexts for fractions are easier for many students compared to multiplication and division contexts. Engage children with things that they are interested in such as food items. Bring in a cake or pizza to generate useful discussions. Also, there are many appropriate children’s books, My Half Day (Fisher, Sneed, 2008) is an example of one and digital resources (Mind Tap) help students learn about fractions.
Tresman, I. (August 25, 2005). Cake-quarters [Online image] Retrieved from
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cake-quarters.jpg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cake-quarters.jpg
Decimal key words are tenths, decimal, decimal point, and hundredths. Again, the learning goals change per grade. Grade 4 students will explore and represent tenths and hundredths as decimals, compare and order decimals, add and subtract decimals and add and subtract currency. When teaching decimals, the main idea is to emphasize that a decimal is another way of representing a fraction. An extra key point is that the decimal never moves only the number moves around the decimal. I wish that strategy was reinforced when I was in grade school because I had trouble with aligning digits. Overall, I can connect these teaching tips, the presentation activities (matching fractions to decimal game cards, equivalent decimal challenges) using manipulatives, and lesson strategies in my future teaching of fractions and decimals during my practicum. These approaches will ensure positive math experiences and build conceptual knowledge.
References:
Small, M. (2013). Third edition making math meaningful to Canadian students, K-8. United States:
Nelson Education
References:
Small, M. (2013). Third edition making math meaningful to Canadian students, K-8. United States:
Nelson Education



No comments:
Post a Comment