Smithsonian Science Ed Center. (December 2015). Good Thinking! – Natural Selection: Common Misconceptions [Online image] Retrieved from https://vimeo.com/149158770
For example, a misconception is not understanding that percents are a number out of one hundred; writing 0.7% as 7% rather than 70%. Another misconception is thinking that percents cannot be greater than 100.
The learning activity presentations really impressed me this week. They were interactive and fun. All three individuals did a fantastic job of explaining their topics of ratio, rates and percentages. I like how Giuliana connected math to baking and used a granola bar recipe to explain ratio and proportion. The equivalent ratios were described meaningfully. Personally, I like to be in the kitchen to cook and I am a visual learner. Visualization is important for developing number sense. Although it is essential to verbalize in mathematical teaching, it is just as important to bring attention to the visualization of concepts for students in younger grades. Connecting math problems to daily applications and meaningful life experiences get students excited to solve math problems.
Djstoney. (September 13, 2012). Logo for Recipe [Online image] Retrieved from
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Recipe_logo.jpeg
Charlene’s handout and presentation of unit rates for Grade six and seven students was equally engaging. I like how she incorporated a Price is Right Game to explain this concept. It matched the mathematical objective. Students like learning math through games. We have realized that games increase motivation, exploration, positive attitudes, increased learning and provides students practice with skills. As well, games support the idea that learning can be fun. Since math gets unjust criticism, I like the idea that games support math learning.
FremantleMedia. (December 31, 1971). The Price Is Right Logo [Online image] Retrieved from
Charlene’s handout and presentation of unit rates for Grade six and seven students was equally engaging. I like how she incorporated a Price is Right Game to explain this concept. It matched the mathematical objective. Students like learning math through games. We have realized that games increase motivation, exploration, positive attitudes, increased learning and provides students practice with skills. As well, games support the idea that learning can be fun. Since math gets unjust criticism, I like the idea that games support math learning.
FremantleMedia. (December 31, 1971). The Price Is Right Logo [Online image] Retrieved from
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Price_is_Right#/media/File:TPIRWordmark.png
The third presentation of percentages by Ashley was well done. She created a handout and menu of choice activities that were educationally valuable. These resources encourage a positive attitude when learning mathematics and are examples of how to engage students and make math significant.
There are many references and big ideas out there to help us teach math. For me, this week’s presentations really stuck out for me. Rate, ratios, percentages and proportions can be difficult for some students to grasp. I will file away these games and activities that spice up mathematics and make learning these concepts more fun.
The third presentation of percentages by Ashley was well done. She created a handout and menu of choice activities that were educationally valuable. These resources encourage a positive attitude when learning mathematics and are examples of how to engage students and make math significant.
There are many references and big ideas out there to help us teach math. For me, this week’s presentations really stuck out for me. Rate, ratios, percentages and proportions can be difficult for some students to grasp. I will file away these games and activities that spice up mathematics and make learning these concepts more fun.



No comments:
Post a Comment