Since the Media literacy blog, we have been busy focusing on the Reading Strand of the Ontario Curriculum-Language. By exploring Ministry resources, websites, and articles for teachers we hope to build strong student reading comprehension skills. It is a challenging task for teachers to think strategically about how to ensure that their students become proficient readers. Along with this is the importance of being aware of the essential principles that are being addressed when resources are used.
Something that really stuck out for me during this strand is John Dewey’s quote, “We cannot teach students in the same ways we are taught” (Styslinger, Walker & Lenker, 2014). The delivery has to be different for the 21st century learners. That makes a lot of sense to me especially when teaching reading. I did not like reading in elementary school and that did not get better with time. My parents tried everything; library groups, sport magazines, novels about sports, Screech Owl Series, and newspaper clippings of sports. I have to admit that helped a bit. When I read the Shakespeare novels in high school, I relied on sticky notes and Coles notes for a better understanding. Those days are gone. I cannot say that I had a deeper understanding of the text, but those strategies worked. Today, teachers must question students through assignments and methods that are engaging.
There are many resources to help students summarize, visualize and question texts and make reading more fun. Some of them are digital such as Newspaper Generators and ComicBook, while others are innovative programs to promote letter writing (Paperpal) or ways to help weaker readers. It does not matter what is used, the result is to create a positive learning environment and have a flexible approach.
One educational resource that I think could be engaging for students in Grade four would be the Reading Rockets website. Reading Rockets is a national multimedia literacy resource. Its initiatives are designed to help young children read, but there are links to guide educators and parents of children in grades 4-12 who are struggling with reading. It can be used by librarians, administrators or anyone who is trying to help children become powerful, confident readers. The website offers a wealth of information; strategies, lessons and activities designed to strengthen reading. I can see how Reading Rockets can be used in the blended learning model where teachers present part of the reading content and then the students engage in a variety of its online activities during and outside school hours.
BigBrotherMouse. (September 16, 2013). Reading time [Online image]
Something that really stuck out for me during this strand is John Dewey’s quote, “We cannot teach students in the same ways we are taught” (Styslinger, Walker & Lenker, 2014). The delivery has to be different for the 21st century learners. That makes a lot of sense to me especially when teaching reading. I did not like reading in elementary school and that did not get better with time. My parents tried everything; library groups, sport magazines, novels about sports, Screech Owl Series, and newspaper clippings of sports. I have to admit that helped a bit. When I read the Shakespeare novels in high school, I relied on sticky notes and Coles notes for a better understanding. Those days are gone. I cannot say that I had a deeper understanding of the text, but those strategies worked. Today, teachers must question students through assignments and methods that are engaging.
There are many resources to help students summarize, visualize and question texts and make reading more fun. Some of them are digital such as Newspaper Generators and ComicBook, while others are innovative programs to promote letter writing (Paperpal) or ways to help weaker readers. It does not matter what is used, the result is to create a positive learning environment and have a flexible approach.
One educational resource that I think could be engaging for students in Grade four would be the Reading Rockets website. Reading Rockets is a national multimedia literacy resource. Its initiatives are designed to help young children read, but there are links to guide educators and parents of children in grades 4-12 who are struggling with reading. It can be used by librarians, administrators or anyone who is trying to help children become powerful, confident readers. The website offers a wealth of information; strategies, lessons and activities designed to strengthen reading. I can see how Reading Rockets can be used in the blended learning model where teachers present part of the reading content and then the students engage in a variety of its online activities during and outside school hours.
BigBrotherMouse. (September 16, 2013). Reading time [Online image]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning_to_read#/media/File:School_in_Laos_-_Reading_time.jpg
Within the colourful website are drop down menus such as “teaching reading” that provides research-based classroom strategies to teachers. This includes ways to strengthen phonics, vocabulary, comprehension, fluency, writing, and phonological awareness. Other subheadings are “help struggling readers” with videos and articles to address why some children have difficulty or how to target this problem. There is graphical element of “reading topics A-Z” that feature information about advocacy, dyslexia, motivation, parent engagement, reading aloud, spelling, tutoring and writing. Videos, blogs, PBS shows and fun activities (reading adventure packs, quotes, e-cards, web widgets) can be accessed within the site. Lastly, there is an entry of suggested “children’s books and authors” that features some interesting author interviews and themed booklists.
Everson, Bart. (December 11, 2014). The Shortest Day [Online image] Retrieved from
Within the colourful website are drop down menus such as “teaching reading” that provides research-based classroom strategies to teachers. This includes ways to strengthen phonics, vocabulary, comprehension, fluency, writing, and phonological awareness. Other subheadings are “help struggling readers” with videos and articles to address why some children have difficulty or how to target this problem. There is graphical element of “reading topics A-Z” that feature information about advocacy, dyslexia, motivation, parent engagement, reading aloud, spelling, tutoring and writing. Videos, blogs, PBS shows and fun activities (reading adventure packs, quotes, e-cards, web widgets) can be accessed within the site. Lastly, there is an entry of suggested “children’s books and authors” that features some interesting author interviews and themed booklists.
Everson, Bart. (December 11, 2014). The Shortest Day [Online image] Retrieved from
https://www.flickr.com/photos/editor/22802017984
Looking at the curriculum documents for grade 4, I think that the Reading Rockets website is a great source for learning in the reading strand and help students satisfy the expectations. The site offers a variety of text forms and features that would allow students to demonstrate an understanding of how they communicate meaning. The suggestions of books, great quotes, e-cards, and literacy calendar celebrations would help students use knowledge of words to read fluently. The different events offered will motivate students to read and demonstrate an understanding of a variety of literary, graphic and informational texts. Interviews of award winning children book authors and illustrators within the website can help students reflect and identify their strengths as readers (Curriculum, 2006).
BK. (September 20, 2015). Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis There are many little ways to enlarge your
child's world. Love of books is the best of all [Online image] Retrieved from
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pictoquotes/21379766469
My placement is a Grade 4 class. I will use this website as a guide to assist me as a future teacher with reading strategies that promote deeper thinking and improve comprehension. I want to make reading fun and engaging. I have observed my Associate Teacher’s enthusiasm when she offers ways to improve student’s reading skills. Reading Rockets is an amazing reference to anyone teaching literacy and is relevant for the 21st Century classroom. More importantly, the activities can be used by the students at home for inspiration to become independent readers.
References:
Looking at the curriculum documents for grade 4, I think that the Reading Rockets website is a great source for learning in the reading strand and help students satisfy the expectations. The site offers a variety of text forms and features that would allow students to demonstrate an understanding of how they communicate meaning. The suggestions of books, great quotes, e-cards, and literacy calendar celebrations would help students use knowledge of words to read fluently. The different events offered will motivate students to read and demonstrate an understanding of a variety of literary, graphic and informational texts. Interviews of award winning children book authors and illustrators within the website can help students reflect and identify their strengths as readers (Curriculum, 2006).
BK. (September 20, 2015). Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis There are many little ways to enlarge your
child's world. Love of books is the best of all [Online image] Retrieved from
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pictoquotes/21379766469
My placement is a Grade 4 class. I will use this website as a guide to assist me as a future teacher with reading strategies that promote deeper thinking and improve comprehension. I want to make reading fun and engaging. I have observed my Associate Teacher’s enthusiasm when she offers ways to improve student’s reading skills. Reading Rockets is an amazing reference to anyone teaching literacy and is relevant for the 21st Century classroom. More importantly, the activities can be used by the students at home for inspiration to become independent readers.
References:
Ministry of Education. (2006). The Ontario curriculum grades 1-8 language. Retrieved from
http://www.edu.gov.on.ca
Reading Rockets, Launching Young Readers (2015). Retrieved from
http://www.readingrockets.org/
Styslinger, M., Walker, N., & Lenker, T. (2014). Beyond the Sticky Note and Venn Diagram:
Comprehension Strategies for the 21st Century Schools. Voices from the Middle, 22 (2), 13-20.



No comments:
Post a Comment