Friday, 16 September 2016

Math Post

Welcome,

My name is Matt. I graduated with my Honours in Physical Education in 2015 from Brock University. I am back in the classroom after a self-imposed sabbatical that lasted a year. That adventure gave me opportunities to do the things that I always wanted to do. I worked at a few part-time jobs (minor official operating the shot clock for the Brock Badgers and Niagara River Lions Basketball teams), tutored at an elementary school and volunteered in a Grade 4 class. I travelled to China, Thailand, and Vietnam. I have great memories of the beaches, museums, Vietnam tunnels, ethnic dishes, and the people. Other personal interests include playing basketball, and cooking new Thai foods. All my experiences supported my future goal to become a teacher and alleviated any doubts about choosing this profession. It has been an amazing journey so far!

Now as a teacher candidate, I hope to learn how to develop a working knowledge and understanding of the nature of school mathematics to pass onto my students. Education can be complicated because of different learning styles. This course will provide me with strategies and suggestions for improved communication of that information. I plan to expand my mathematics knowledge by learning from others and blogging. This tool will be a new and exciting way for me to share information, express my opinions, increase math communication, and connect with my peers.

Weekly blogging about mathematic lessons will provide many benefits for me. This modern platform is a way for me to learn how to teach math to students of different grades and ages via technology. I will document my discoveries with on-going self-reflective posts that will keep me updated. They will allow me to express my ideas, triumphs and frustrations of problem-solving math questions with others. Feedback will be welcomed. Those tips and opinions will be used for personal growth.

Math is a universal subject that can be interpreted in different ways. I realized this fact after completing the Math Refresher Course during the Pre and Post assessment exercises. Resources offered the same answers, but they were often calculated in a variety of ways. In class, it was evident when we complete the Four 4's exercises. As our group engaged in discussion, there were different ideas and processes. These brain storming sessions developed a culture of collaboration.

Overall, online journaling in this course will help me gain confidence and learn about myself (good and bad) as a mathematics learner. Also, I hope to assist and mentor my classmates with any struggles that they might have with EDBE 8P29.




No comments:

Post a Comment