from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tape_measure_colored.jpeg
In particular, I liked how Kursten used magazine pictures to emphasize the definition/comparison stage of area, an important stage of introducing area concepts. This is a great idea because students are familiar with magazines and it helps with spatial reasoning. Within the reading, other everyday activities are highlighted to do this; trace shoeprints and compare to other students, use a computer drawing programs to create two different rectangles that look similar and then print the rectangles and compare to see which one is larger.
A tip for teaching measurement within the textbook is to begin with a definition/comparison stage followed by a stage involving nonstandard units, then standard units. Problem solving should be a part of all the stages. Miss Bunz’s first slide validates this tip of the three stages.
This week’s online class provided us with measurement concepts for Grades 3-8. I am sure that this information will be useful as a resource in our practicums and lesson planning. Since my placement is Grade 4, I was very interested in this slide. My Associate Teacher has presented her students with problem solving questions involving money and time intervals. She has stressed to me that reading an analogue clock and figuring out money lessons come up more quickly in the math program compared to measuring area, length, perimeter, and probability. Most students have manipulated money since Grade 1 because they are used to it in their worlds. Looking at the concepts, students in this grade should be able to read time. In fact, I have been told that students in this grade can relate units of time and should be able to tell time to the nearest five minutes. I know that in this blog, I am getting away from measurement of area and perimeter, but my point is that there is a method to the madness of teaching. Any strategies help.
Pearce, Kyle. (February 22, 2015). Measurement - Area & Perimeter of a Rectangle Using Jars of
Pearce, Kyle. (February 22, 2015). Measurement - Area & Perimeter of a Rectangle Using Jars of
Hot Peppers [Online image] Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8uXUIOKGYA
It was very helpful to read and listen to Miss Bunz’s study of Evaluating and Integrating Digital Tools into the 21st Century Elementary Mathematics classroom. My sister received her Masters in Community Health and practiced presenting her study on childhood obesity a thousand times to us. I understand the time and commitment that goes into developing a thesis. I mean nine pages of just references. That is a lot of research. So far, a big emphasis in our program is using technology in the classroom to positively impact student achievement and engagement. I was curious to see the study’s information and was not disappointed. I liked how Stage 6 emphasized that technology should not take away from the pedagogical decisions that we make. Great job, Miss Bunz!
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1L-LLM_Scavenger_Hunt_(3952858025).jpg
A favourite part of mine in the readings are the common errors and misconceptions with suggested strategies. This chapter did not disappoint. I was not surprised with some of the ones mentioned for calculating perimeter and area; ruler placement, comparing lengths that do not align, confusing length with area, multiplying length X width for a non-rectangle. As future teachers, this knowledge is important for us to note the errors and effectively address them to correct faulty thinking of math. We have to review student understanding and provide learning opportunities for students to show and support their reasoning.
Week nine did not disappoint me. Instruction of measurement requires careful planning, hands-on activities to use it, and no assumptions.
Good Night!
P.S. I can be very competitive and like Scavenger Hunts. This is a wide-open strategy to excite students to practice math without realizing it.



No comments:
Post a Comment